There’s a lot of talk about content marketing, a lot of theory about how best to do it - books of it, in fact. But maybe you don’t have time to read a book right now. Maybe you just want a nudge in the right direction.
I’ve read hundreds of quotes and excerpts about content marketing, and some of them are a bit convoluted or too simplistic or not actually to do with content marketing at all, even if they are rather inspiring.
But others condense the topic into a straightforward sentence or two that really get to the heart of what it content marketing is and how we ought to be doing it. Here are 10 of my favourite.
1) “Content marketing is like a first date. If all you do is talk about yourself, there won’t be a second date.” - David Beebe, Marriott International
2) “Make your marketing so useful people would pay you for it.” – Jay Baer, author, speaker and consultant
3) “Actually talk to your customers. Use the language that they use. Talk about the things they talk about. Never feed salad to a lion.” - Jay Acunzo, NextView
4) “Speak to your audience in their language about what’s in their heart.” – Jonathan Lister, LinkedIn
5) “Real content marketing isn’t repurposed advertising, it is making something worth talking about.” - Seth Godin, author, speaker and marketer
6) “Great marketers have immense empathy for their audience. They can put themselves in their shoes, live their lives, feel what they feel, go where they go, and respond how they'd respond. That empathy comes out in content that resonates with your audience.” - Rand Fishkin, Moz
7) “Content is anything that adds value to the reader's life.” – Avinash Kaushik, author, speaker and entrepreneur
8) “There is no content strategy without measurement strategy. Before embarking on a content initiative, irrespective of medium or platform, it’s important to know what you want to achieve.” - Rebecca Lieb, Conglomotron LLC
9) "Google only loves you when everyone else loves you first." – Wendy Piersall, blogger, speaker and entrepreneur
10) "Good marketing makes the company look smart. Great marketing makes the customer feel smart." – Joe Chernov, InsightSquared
And here’s a bonus quote, from yours truly!
11) “You don’t need many words, just the right ones. Your audience is busy; don’t make them wade through hundreds of words when dozens will do.” - Rin Hamburgh, Rin Hamburgh & Co
Do you have a favourite quote about content marketing? Let us know!